A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I am trying to understand what lucenc including the left

Customer Question

I am trying to understand what lucenc including the left occipital lobe and the left basal ganglia means
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I had a stroke in October and last month I was experiencing headaches over my left eye and went to the ER and this is the results that I received from a cat scan
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Not at this time just trying to understand what this report means. Thank you for any clarification.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 months ago.

Can you type exactly what the report says?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The report states standard noncontrasted heat CT imaging was performed. There are in areas of lucency including the left occipital lobe, and the left basal ganglia. These findings are consistent with encephalomalacia
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
related to old infarcts. The current examination is negative for acute intracranial infarct, hemorrhage, mass or mass effect.

The key word in all this is encephalomalacia, which is a softening or loss of brain tissue following cerebral infarct (ischemic stroke), or an infection, trauma, etc.

Lucency is just a description of what was seen in the left occipital lobe. and the left basal ganglia (two parts of the left side of the brain). It means those areas show darker on the scan as opposed to opaque which is normal.

It further states that there are no new findings and the lucency is from the already diagnosed stroke last autumn.

Please let me know if this isn't clear.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

You're so very welcome. Please don't forget a positive rating since that's the only way I'm paid for my time.

Best regards,