A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I'm taking antibiotics along with a probiotic in order to

Customer Question

I'm taking antibiotics along with a probiotic in order to reduce the diahrrea. That's been working and my stool has been normal everyday , except today it looked really dark. Nothing else was abnormal. Could this just be a solitary event?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No. I don't have any other symptoms but a sinus, throat and ear infection which has been addressed with the Augmentin which I will be don't taking in two days.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 months ago.

Dark, tarry stools can be from bleeding high in the digestive tract (such as a peptic ulcer). It can also be from something you've eaten or taken such as beets, licorice, blueberries, dark green leafy vegetables, dark chocolate, Pepto Bismol, iron supplements.

It is probably nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on it for the next couple of days and if you see red blood, you need to go to your medical provider right away.

Please reply if you have other questions about this.

Kind regards,