DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director

I have bronchiectasis and am moving to an altitude of 6800

Customer Question

I have bronchiectasis and am moving to an altitude of 6800 feet in Colorado. Do I need to do special preparation? Precautions?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I've had bronchiectasis for several years, following two bronchoscopies to remove aspirated substance. I use a nebulized twice a day with albuterol and ipratropium bromide. Sometimes I use Advair. I do well since I was diagnosed and received the treatments, though occasionally I get pneumonia. I am moving to Colorado, elevation 6800 feet, and i am concerned. I spent a week there and was plagued by shortness of breath and rapid heart rate upon exertion. Also resulting fatigue. Will I acclimate?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 4 months ago.

You need to prepare if you live at sea level.

I would spend several days at 2 or 3 thousand feet, or longer, then move up.

And make sure you can rest the first week.

You should also have a doctor in your new location ready to assist you.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here