Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

What causes swelling in the legs my wife is 57. Had neck

Customer Question

What causes swelling in the legs my wife is 57. Had neck surgery 6 years ago. She is ON S.S.D.I. The Doctor said she now has neuropathy could this be causing her legs to swell. This started around 6 months ago and is getting worse. Now she's getting cramps on her legs and is in pain. She is having trouble standing now. We have an appointment with her Doctor but is still a couple of weeks ahead is their something I can do in the meantime.Please HELP. Thank you . Alfred Molina
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Is she having pain and swelling in both legs?

For how long she has this problem?

Has she undergone any tests for this issue?

Is she getting leg cramps at night?

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your wife’s problems.

Well, There are a couple of possibilities for your swelling in legs. Some of the common causes are-
1. Heart disease- This occurs when heart is unable to pump effectively, the fluid accumulates in the tissues with gravity hence legs swell up; Usually it is associated with chest pain and shortness of breath.

2. Kidney disorder-This occurs when kidneys can't keep up with filtering all the blood that comes through them, the fluid in the tissues accumulates, with gravity and results in swelling in legs.

3. Liver disease.
Endocrine disorders like thyroid problems too can cause it. Chronic venous conditions (problems with the veins) in the legs can also cause swelling.

This should not be ignored, and you need to undergo few tests-
-Blood tests such as a Complete blood count or blood chemistry
-Chest x-ray or extremity x-ray
-Liver function test
-Hormone tests
-Ultrasound of legs.

Having cramps in legs could be related with-

-Imbalance of electrolyte levels in body
-Thyroid disorder- Hypothyroidism
-Peripheral artery disease
-Kidney disease

Yes, peripheral neuropathy could cause such symptoms.

To make a diagnose, she need to undergo few tests which includes-
Complete blood count, Blood sugar test, Thyroid hormone test, Kidney function test. Also sodium, potassium, and calcium levels in blood should be checked.

She should use a cold pack to relax tense muscles, and this will help in cramps. After this use a warm towel or heating pad later if you she pain or tenderness, she can take a hot bath.
Also massaging the cramped muscle will help in solving the problem.
She should gently stretch her leg and move her foot towards knee, until she feel the calf muscles stretch.This will relax her leg muscles.
Also she should formulate an exercise routine and ensure that she build on it gradually. She should avoid alcohol, coffee,tobacco.

Yes, she should discuss about tests as described above, with her doctor.

They would clinically examined her and would advised set of tests. After this line of treatment would be advised accordingly.

Please follow measures, as advised above and wait till she get appointment.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards