Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

My sister has been having severe pain in her chest 2 months.

Customer Question

My sister has been having severe pain in her chest for about 2 months. She had a CT Scan that revealed a displaced sternum fracture and they sent her home & told her to "take it easy" & it would heal in about 3-6 weeks. But it is not healing & because of the severe pain she is not sleeping, has lost about 25 pounds and her husband is exhausted from taking care of her, & working a full-time job. I have been searching the internet for her & I found that sometimes a desplaced sternum fracture has to be surgically repaired. What type of doctor would she need to determine if she requires surgery? Thank you for your immediate response.
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: Never had this not able to take deep breaths.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Just that I'm extremely worried about her. She is extremely depressed due to the pain, lack of sleep, etc.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

Though sternal fracture heals in about 3-6 weeks, it can take 8-12 weeks.

As the pain is severe, she can take a repeat evaluation by an orthopedic doctor.

Rarely, nonunion can occur where surgical intervention can be required.

I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.