Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

Question. My daughter who will be 2 in July had a fever with

Customer Question

Question. My daughter who will be 2 in July had a fever with hand, foot and mouth. She acts fine now but has scabbed sores. My 3 year old came down with a fever Wednesday. Her sores did not break open and blister like her sisters... She now is acting fine and has some red bumps. My husband had a fever yesterday... (saturday).. and today he has no fever but red bumps on hands and feed and throat is sore... We are suppose to be going on a trip this week to a wedding..... When is is safe to be around others and not contagious?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today

Hand, foot, and mouth disease is a highly contagious infection.

HFMD are most contagious during the first week of the illness. The virus can remain in her body for weeks after the signs and symptoms are gone. That means your child still can infect others.

One should stay home while he/she is sick with hand, foot, and mouth disease(HFMD).

As your daughter still has scabbed sores,your 3 year old has red bumps,your husband has red bumps on hands and feet and his throat is sore,they are still contagious.

Till they all have these symptoms,they are contagious. They all need to wash their hands frequently and avoid rubbing eyes or mouth, as the virus can be transmitted through body fluids.

So bot***** *****ne is that one is most contagious during the first week of the illness and/or till the symptoms lasts.You need to wait & watch till the date of your trip to a wedding.Hopefully by this time all the symptoms go away.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards