Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My wbc was 70.4 does that equal 70000 wbc : I have an Appt

Customer Question

My wbc was 70.4 does that equal 70000 wbc
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I have an Appt with hematology on Friday but everywhere I read abt wbc uses thousands for results mine was 70.4 that is why I wanted to know what 70.4is in thousands
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Sure I have a Mesa infection in my nose, U just started using mupirocin ointment on it, my piriformis muscle is inflamed & causing bad pain I already took the steroid tablets for it & I had injections on 5/25, also my sciatica is ongoing but its so bad that I was scheduled for a spinal fusion on June 7 but it got postponed because my wbc is so high & have had fibromyalgia fi many years I occ have IBS with diarrhea but not this week
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your WBC was so concerningly elevated. Yes a report of 70 would imply 70,000. It would be normal range IF 7000...that would generally be referred to as 7.0 if that however ..

Now infection can cause elevated WBC and steroids may ALSO elevate white cell count BUT I fear that 70,000 if true is more suggestive of a possible malignancy ...

Seeing hematologist is indicated I agree.

It sounds that you need detailed and thorough work up of this abnormal finding as soon as possible.

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Good luck to you...

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

Best regards,p

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My pre op coloniscopy showed no concern I'm 71 years old & my bone scan showed no osteoporosis I'm a walker, I have a lifelong healthy diet mostly my own home cooking plus always positive attitude & no cancer in any of my family. & I am raising my 14 year old grandson in fact I'm the only mother he ever knew so I MUST be a healthy young mother, thx
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also I'm 5'2" & 120lb & was only over weight with menopause but not for long

Hello again,

I'm sorry but if TRUE a WBC of 70,000 would suggest some type leukemia. That is about the only way to see a WBC that high ...

You need hematology consult ASAP

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thx for being honest its good that Um otherwise healthy

Yes I agree with that ... Good luck to you in going foward here

Don't delay and push to your Best ability for seeing hematologist...

Take Care !

Anthony Bray MD