A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am dizzy when I lie down on my left side. most part I can

Customer Question

I am dizzy when I lie down on my left side. For the most part I can move about albeit somewhat rigidly and take care of things. But when I tried to lie down for a nap, I got so dizzy that it scared me and I was quickly back up.
I am guessing this is an inner ear disturbance and had some drops to use so I did. I did not go to the dr. as I could not drive. I do not have any other symptoms. I am just looking for some reassurance I think.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Cancel the question please for now. I do not think there is any new information that would be relevant. I am sure that since u do not know me u would have questions and qualifiers which I already know are not pertinent to me specifically. I am satisfied that it is inner ear. Thanks.
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 months ago.

This is possibly benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). It's not uncommon, and is caused by small particles (called otoconia) in the ear that cause vertigo when they move where they aren't supposed to be. There are a series of exercise that can help, although they do make you dizzier in the short term. You can read more about it here:

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/types-vestibular-disorders/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~