A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I just discovered a hard, bony lump on the very bottom of my

Customer Question

I just discovered a hard, bony lump on the very bottom of my left nostril, against the septum wall (it feels as though it's growing out of the septum wall). It feels like bone/cartilage, and for all I know it's been there a long time, but I only just discovered it and am alarmed. (There is also no similar bump in my other nostril.) Can you advise what this might be?
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: I don't know how long it's been there; I only just found it. It's hard; it feels bony.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: That's everything I can think of -- it feels as hard as the cartilage of the septum wall but is sticking out.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Not out of the nostril -- just out of the septum wall, at the very bottom.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question.

This can be a polyp, or a bone spur secondary to an in jury that you don't even remember (such as blowing your nose). It can also be a deviated septum that you are feeling.

The specialist to see is a otolaryngologist (ENT - ear, nose, throat physician). Your primary care provider can give you a referral. If it isn't causing a problem (difficulty breathing, for instance), usually no treatment is necessary.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
May I ask one more question? I was once diagnosed many years ago with a deviated septum, but I thought it was on the right side. If this bony lump is related, would a deviated septum be that far down, at the bottom of the nostril?

Since you say it's growing from the septum wall, then yes, it can be that far down. Someone would need to take a look at it for a real diagnosis.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~