A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My daughter who is 8, has what appeared to be a cut on her

Customer Question

my daughter who is 8, has what appeared to be a cut on her big toe. It is now getting pretty painful and she says it feels like it is now under her toe nail. Today, she now has a cut on her other big toe. She said that she has no idea how it happened and said that she doesn't remember cutting it on something.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: It has been this way probably about 4 days. It definitely hurts while walking and she said that it is starting to hurt all the time.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I am not sure. She is healthy, was born premature and had super low blood sugar when she was born.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 months ago.

These can be skin splits from dry skin. If they aren't too bad, you can wash her feet well, and apply NuSkin (from the drug store) to help the splits heal. Then she can apply lotion to her feet to help moisturize them.

It's difficult to say if this is the cause or not without actually seeing the feet. So you may want to take her to a walk-in clinic for a diagnosis to make sure this is it.

Of course, she shouldn't go barefoot until the sores are healed.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, Thank you. I will probably take her in to be seen. Her skin, is not dry at all on her toes or her feet.

Like I said, it's difficult to tell what it is without seeing it. There may be a reaction to something in her shoes (a fairly common thing) that is causing some irritation, resulting in skin splits.

Good luck!

NP Schuyler

~