Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

My eighty year old dad broke s ribs two days ago and he

Customer Question

my eighty year old dad broke his ribs two days ago and he booked to go on a holiday with my mum in two weeks time. at the moment he is in a lot of piano. hospital did X-ray and mdi and said there a no signs of damages to other organs. They have to fly for an hour to their destination. Should he still go? I am very concerned. thank you
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: My dad has finished only 4 months ago treatments for prostate cancer. he had radiotherapy and hormones injections till 4 months ago. Now he is not on medication. lately he has developed high blood pressure which he never experienced in his life.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 months ago.

He can safely go on a holiday after two weeks.

As long as his broken ribs don't cause hemothorax (bleeding into pleural cavity) or pneumothorax (air in pleural cavity) then there shouldn't be a problem with air pressure while flying.

He may want to splint his ribs with a compression-type garment or an ACE wrap during the flight to help relieve pain when breathe.While flying, because of possible changes in air pressure, the splint around his chest can help to relieve painful respiration.

He can take OTC Motrin for pain.

And it's good to see his doctor one day before his travel for just a clinical examination.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please to not forget a positive rating and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay thank you but how does he know if he has hemothorax or pneumothorax in a week or so?
they scanned him two days ago but I know things can change so how will he know?
Does he have to have an other scan before leaving? thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 6 months ago.

A pneumothorax/hemothorax can show on a chest X-ray soon after the injury. However, it can occur later, even several days afterwards. So be alert for symptoms such as shortness of breath, increasing chest pain, or pain that is not near the break (fracture),pain in the lower part of the chest.

A repeat scan can be helpful before leaving.

Hope this helps.
Bonus is highly appreciated.