A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Feeling dizzy/unbalanced when walking 2 weeks, and very

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: feeling dizzy/unbalanced when walking for over 2 weeks, and very tired all the time.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: also getting head aches
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: not really, usually active and energetic, so very strange. never felt dizzy like this before.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 months ago.

Have you seen a doctor for this over the past two weeks?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have

Thank you. What did the doctor have to say?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
testing for glandular fever, and gave me antibiotics. which I know don't fight viruses but guessing given as a precaution.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
very strange to feel unbalanced. I would say unbalanced more than dizzy as its noticeable more when im walking. don't feel like I can do much before im exhausted, can sleep for ages, even in the day right now.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes, antibiotics in this case were given as a precaution, just in case it is something other than mononucleosis (glandular fever).

Lack of balance, or dizziness aren't common symptoms of glandular fever. Normally, symptoms of that are fever, swollen lymph glands in the neck, and a very sore throat, as well as fatigue. This infection typically lasts a couple of weeks to three weeks and no treatment is usually necessary other than comfort measures (rest, paracetamol for discomfort, warm salt water gargles). One should avoid strenuous activity that involves contact sports (such as football, either the American or English variety) and rugby in case the spleen is swollen.

A sense of unbalance or dizziness is more common with an inner ear infection and that is probably why the antibiotics were given. Fatigue can accompany any infection.

Please reply if you want to ask more questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yes im suffering all those symptoms too, but with the concerned it lasted this long, is that likely with an ear infection.I have become familiar with labyrinthitis, could it be this? or is there anything else the prolonged dizziness could be?
I have also had a sore throat for all this time.

Ear infections are notoriously difficult to cure. They can take 3 to 6 weeks even with antibiotics.

Labyrinthitis is another word for an inner ear infection. It can be viral or, less often, bacterial. It typically takes 2-3 weeks (and sometimes more) to cure.

An otolaryngologist (ENT - ear, nose, throat) is the specialist to see if you aren't better in the next week or so.

There are other things that cause dizziness and lack of balance such as low blood sugar, Meniere's disease (another inner ear problem), blood pressure (either high or low), and a number of other things. However, the combination of sore throat, swollen glands, excessive fatigue, and dizziness (which includes lack of balance) is more likely an inner ear problem that may be related to or subsequent to another infection such as glandular fever.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you, ***** *****!!

You're so very welcome. I hope you feel better soon. Please don't forget a positive rating when they ask for one.

Kindest regards,