A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I recently noticed that I have swelling around my left ankle

Customer Question

I recently noticed that I have swelling around my left ankle bone only. It hurts when I walk for some time but most of the time it doesn't bother me. Any thoughts on what it might be?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Only for a little less than the week. Walking makes it worse. resting and elevating feet seem to make it a little better.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have had problems with my feet before but the affect the other foor not the right one. ( for ex. plantar fascitis, ganglions, and also a joint problem that causes my 2nd toe to push into my big toe. However, these only affect the right foot not the left one.)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question.
What is your age? Do you walk or stand on your feet a lot? What medications do you take?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I walk a lot and do not take any meds.
What is your age?
If you are 15, it may just be from overuse. If you are 50 or more, in addition to overuse or a sprain, it could be a circulation problem, or problems with your liver or kidneys. Without an examination there is no way to tell what is causing the pain and swelling. Kind regards, Schuyler~