A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

First question how soon can a herpes outbreak start after

Customer Question

First question how soon can a herpes outbreak start after exposure.Second question could a woman have it without knowing for seven months
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 months ago.
Hello, The average time of breakout after exposure is about 4 days with a range of from 2 days to as much as 12, if there are to be symptoms right away. Symptoms are vesicles that break and can form painful ulcers that last for two to four weeks to heal. Sometimes there are no symptoms for months to years after exposure. So, yes it is possible that someone was exposed seven months ago and is just now having an outbreak. Please let me know if you have additional questions about this. Kind regards, ***** *****~
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I recently contracted the herpesvirus and my partner wants to get tested what is the most accurate test or is there one at all?
Blood tests are used for people who don't have symptoms. They don't look for the virus itself, but for antibodies your body has made against the virus. They are recommended 12 to 16 weeks after possible exposure. You will want to ask for an IgG blood test since IgM tests aren't accurate and cross-react with other viruses. There are many brand names and your health care provider will be totally informed about many brands. No one brand can be recommended against others because they are all approximately equal in accuracy. Kind regards, Schuyler~
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
a blood test is very accurate as far showing if you've been exposed to it
it is, but only 12 to 16 weeks after possible exposure, since it takes that long for the body to make antibodies against the virus. If someone tests prior to 12 weeks and tests positive, than the odds are that they were already exposed some time in the past and didn't know it. Kind regards, Schuyler~