Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I got a call saying I needed to go to the emergency room

Customer Question

I got a call saying I needed to go to the emergency room after my doctor ran my blood test my levels were low 6.5 hemo.
I was told I needed a transfusion by the doctor before I got to the er. I didn't know I was anemic. I've never taken taken iron pills .I declined getting a transfusion. I wanted to try the pills and iron iv to see if it would work first.I lost a lot of blood from a 1 month2week cycle.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.With adequate oral iron supplement, diet, hemoglobin level can increase by 1 g./ dl in 2-3 weeks.Injection of iron is usually given to those who can not take or tolerate oral iron.As your level is low, you can take the advice of your doctor.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.