A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have had severe swelling in my leg . a couple days ago my

Customer Question

I have had severe swelling in my leg for years. a couple days ago my daughter scratched my leg and it it has been leaking a clear fluid sense. no redness or hotness just leaking.
JA: It can be tough to know what to do about swelling, so it's best to chat with a doctor. The doctors and specialists are on call 24/7 to get you answers and put you on the road to recovery. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: like what kind of info?
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I am obese, on several meds, hyperthyroidism, metabolic syndrome, I am taking Lasix now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question.
One of the main causes of leaking fluid from swollen legs is incompetent valves in the veins of the legs. This allows blood to fall back toward the ankles when the heart is in rest between beats. The fluid pools in the lower extremities and sometimes leaks out without any injury at all. Constant leaking can result in ulcers called stasis ulcers (because the fluid is static, not going anywhere). The specialist you need to see for this is a vascular specialist. They can run tests on your legs to see if this is what is causing the swelling. Other causes can be liver disease, kidney disease, or congestive heart failure. There is no way we can provide a diagnosis without some testing, so you will need to see your local providers. Please let me know if you have additional questions about this. Kind regards, ***** *****~