Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

We can use the pig tail of a dialysis catheter ? I don't see

Customer Question

we can use the pig tail of a dialysis catheter for chemo? I don't see why not but one of our educators said no
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: patient has a hemodialysis catheter in her neck with a third pig tail port. Is there any reason we cant use that FOR HER CHEMO? (NO VEINS)
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could you cancel I think I'll just use a policy manager. If you already charged my card ok but please remove my credit card info so no further cahrges will be made thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not want to join as a member
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long. Ideally it should not used for chemotherapy. The reason right internal Jugular Dialysis Catheter With Pigtail should not be used is that it is a central venous line. The chemotherapy drugs should not be injected in a central vein which can be toxic to vital organs like liver, lungs, heart and kidneys. The damage in fraction of cases can be significant. Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Port a Cathy pic lines and bovids are put in for chemo because they are centrally placed in sac so not as harsh on the peripheral vein as vesicants can be.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry misspellings. Port a Caths boviacs. SVC
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think this is more a nursing question. Sorry.
You are right. As we discussed, ideally central lines are used only in exceptional cases and we can use it for the chemotherapy if no veins are available. But oncologist usually avoid it. The catheter itself is not contraindication for delivering the medicines / chemo drugs.It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks