A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Can too much liquid intake and not enough solid food cause

Customer Question

can too much liquid intake and not enough solid food cause really loose stools but not watery?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 6 months ago.
HelloYes.If you are only doing liquids this can even cause diarrhea.Loose stools for sure.Check with your doctor however, if this is a new problem, and to be sure you are OK. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

well I have issues in past with hard stools and fissures. no that they are healed i am scared it will happen again so i have been eating less. lately my typical meals for the day:

breakfast - cream of wheat with chia seeds and ghee

lunch - cheese and crackers and some sort of deli meat or sometimes peanut butter on toast

dinner - protein, starch and veggie

and about 100oz of liquids, 64 of it is water the rest is coffee, teas, juices and maybe a beer.

have been taking 1 senna in the evening with 4oz of prune juice.

all i get is slightly formed stool at beginning and mushy loose at end and not a lot of it.

I have IBS-C so very afraid to eat anything

Just make sure you eat a lot of cooked vegetarian food.This will keep the stool soft.Good luck. , please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Relist: Answer quality. did not really answer my question.....was not helpful at all. Please relist I am not paying for this.

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Carrie, You need to be eating more cooked vegetables at luch and dinner. Deli meat isn't really very good for you (high salt, fat, preservatives). You would do better with a piece of grilled fish or chicken, string beans or squash or other cooked green or yellow vegetable (kale, spinach, broccoli, etc.). A large green salad topped with chicken or fish is another good option. Most cheeses are constipating to a lot of people, and crackers (unless they are whole wheat) have little nutritional value. If you like yogurt or cottage cheese, that would be a good addition to your breakfast soyou get a bit of protein in the morning as well. More fiber in your diet from vegetables, and perhaps the addition of psyllium (such as Metamucil) might eliminate or reduce the need to use senna. Senna works by irritating the lining of the bowel which causes a laxative effect. Please let me know if you have additional questions about this. Kind regards, ***** *****~