Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Doctor, I'm a 28yo female and started feeling dull

Customer Question

Hello Doctor,
I'm a 28yo female and started feeling dull chest pains when I would bend over or pick up my 1yo daughter. The pain only lasts for a moment and does not worsen when I lay down. It doesn't feel like it radiates either. I don't have a hx of any heart problems, high cholesterol, or high bp but the symptoms are a little concerning. I've felt them before...actually I've been having them off and on I think for a few years. But it would only last 10-20 min and I would experience them maybe twice to three times per year. Should I be concerned? I saw a PA for a wellness visit 3 weeks ago and didn't mention this to her because I forgot but all she did was blood work.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.A chest pain occurring on bending or to pick up your daughter is likely to be muscular. Since it has been going on for sometime and you do not have significant risk factors (young female; heart disease is far less common compared to males); chances are that it is musculoskeletal. The risk factors for heart disease are (as you know):A previous heart attack or stroke.A family history of heart disease.Elevated total and LDL cholesterol levels.Low HDL level.High blood pressure.Being male or a postmenopausal woman.Cigarette smoker.Uncontrolled diabetes or high blood pressure.Physical inactivity.Obesity or being overweight.Raised high sensitivity CRP (hsCRP)Having said that; you may get an EKG and echocardiography for further ruling out an heart association just for the caution and categorically ruling out any heart problem so you are not anxious..Chest pain can also occur due to;Esophageal spasmAcid refluxPinched nerves in neckCostochondritis Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
I would consider following for your symptoms and investigate;1) Esophageal (food pipe) spasm2) Esophageal motility disorder3) Esophagitis.4) Pinched nerves in neck.5) Chest muscle wall painFollowing treatment may help you;a) Calcium channel blockers (diltiazem, nifedipine) decreases the spasm and improves the movements of the esophagus.b) Relaxation techniques.c) Noncardiac chest pain in the setting of esophageal spasm and esophageal movement disorder (dysmotility) often shows good response to antireflux therapy, even in the absence of typical gastroesophageal reflux symptoms.d) Reassurance and control of anxiety is extremely important.Anti reflux therapy is; 1) antacids; Maalox2) acid blocker; Prilosec3) loosing weight, if overweight.4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches. Following also would be helpful;A. Herbs;1) Cranberry2) PeppermintB. Homeopathy1) Nux Vomica2) PulsatillaC. Nutrition and supplements;1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.2) Probiotic supplement3) Omega 3 fatty acid4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oilHelpful investigations to establish and confirm the diagnosis are;1) Esophageal manometry; evaluates esophageal motor pattern.2) Esophagram / Barium swallow3) Ambulatory esophageal manometry4) CT scan of the chest.5) MRI of neck.It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.
Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/
Hope you are doing good.Let me know if you have any further questions.