A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I Just Got Poked IN THE Elbow By A Cactus Which Is USUALLY

Customer Question

I Just Got Poked IN THE Elbow By A Cactus Which Is USUALLY No Big deal. However it has created pain generating all the way fun my arm into my hand
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Ok
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 months ago.
Hello, The cactus spine probably hit a nerve. Are you absolutely sure the spine isn't still in there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
U there?
Still here, takes a minute to type. Sometimes they are notoriously difficult to remove. You should wash the wound well with soap and water. Apply antiseptic and a bandage. If the spine (or tiny spines) were still in there, you would apply duct tape, and when you remove the tape, the spines come out with it. An ice bag in a towel applied for 20-30 minutes at a time several times a day can help with the pain.
You can take whatever over the counter pain reliever you have (Tylenol, Motrin, Aleve). If it isn't a lot better tomorrow you will need to see your doctor. Usually they are fine if you remove all of the spine, but sometimes a puncture wound can lead to infection, cellulitis, etc. Please let me know if you have additional questions about this. Kind regards, ***** *****~