Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My husband had pneumonia 2 years ago, spent one night in the

Customer Question

My husband had pneumonia 2 years ago, spent one night in the hospital. He is healthy, 62 years old, with no medical conditions. He works with the public. His doctor didn't think he needed a pneumonia vaccine on his last check up visit. This morning, he is going to the emergency room, with a cold he's had for 5 days that now sounds to me the same as when he had pneumonia. Why wouldn't the doctor suggest the vaccine for him? Should he press the issue?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.The pneumococcal vaccine, is recommended for all children younger than 5 years old, all adults 65 years or older, and people 6 through 64 years old with certain medical conditions, like diabetes or low immunity states. A past history of pneumonia is a relative indication and some physician may not recommend the vaccine. You may ask your doctor to get the vaccine when the cold is resolved completely (and his chest x-ray does not show pneumonia now). The vaccine is avoided during any acute illness. So once he gets better, cold is resolved completely, vaccine inoculation can be done. Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.