Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Just returned from ER with an acute rash (purpura?) on both

Customer Question

Just returned from ER with an acute rash (purpura?) on both legs, muscle and joint aches. Dr initially said HSP but then backtracked and prescribed doxycycline for RMSF. I have some bloodwork results but the antibody test won't be back for a few days. Any guidance?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.Did you have any history of tick bite?When did all the symptoms start?Where did the rash start first? Is it spreading? Does it itch?How is your temperature?Which blood tests did you have in ER?Which antibiotic was prescribed?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've had some sort of bite on the top of my left ankle for over a week. The rash started yesterday morning looking like a severe case of razor burn and seems to get more intense and covers a larger area every hour.They ran a CMP, CBC w differential, Sed Rate Westergren, CRP, activated PTT, PT, Rh factor, RMSF antibody, ANA and ANC. The last three results have not yet come in. I have results for all the others.Doxycycline
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 months ago.
Please write the test results you have in hand.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 months ago.
Please wait.I am opening the results & then write your answer.It can take a couple of minutes.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 months ago.
I thought these are results of blood tests.Do you have those?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They are attached. There are some previous results as well so you can see the average levels I've run through the last couple of years.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 months ago.
The results are taking time to open. Please wait
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for all the information,From the picture, it is difficult to diagnose whether it is HSP or RMSF.Lab results are not diagnostic so far.However, from your history RMSF should be taken into consideration.Treatment should be started early in RMSF without waiting for lab results.This will help to prevent complication.I feel you should start taking antibiotic as the doctor advised.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.