Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I woke up with a very strong smell and taste of moth

Customer Question

I woke up with a very strong smell and taste of moth balls in my mouth.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I am taking several medications, including Trazodone which I took last night. I have an overpowering sour taste in my mouth.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: It's a disgusting moth ball taste and smell and it's coming from my stomach.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.Do you have any other symptom?Is there any pain in abdomen? any cold symptom? discharge from nose?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm congested. The smell is rancid. Really overpowering. No pain.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the information.There can be various conditions leading to this problem.It can be local nasal problem disturbing smell receptors of the nose.Congestion of nose from rhinitis, sinusitis associated with postnasal drip can cause bad smell & taste.Reflux of acid from can cause altered taste in mouth.The other cause can be neurological or psychiatric illness.As you feel congested, it is likely from nasal condition.You can have a check up by your doctor or an ENT doctor.You can try nasal decongestant like afrin.But it should not be used for long period without an examination by doctor.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.