Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.

I had the second step of a root canal done today.

Customer Question

Hello. I had the second step of a root canal done today. My dentist gave me prescription for PMS-Dexamethasone 4mg to fill it needed.
It was definitely needed after the freezing worn off. As directed I took 2 pills at 2:00pm today and the next dose is due at 8:00. The pharmacist said it would take about 2 hours to start working.
I have read the I formation on this drug and the concern is stopping.
I have a previous prescription for Vimovo 500/20mg which I had read is a combination of naproxen/esomeprazole. This not only is an anti-inflammatory but a painkiller, which is what is needed.
My question is would it be OK to change to the Vimovo instead of taking the next dose of Dexamethasone. If so how long should I wait or is it OK to take at 8:00pm
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou can try the Vimovo pain pills and anti-inflammatories.make sure you take them with food in your stomach and drink plenty of water with itit could help the pain from the root canal.if you start the PMS-Dexamethasone, you will need to slowly taper off of it to allow your body to slowly start to make your own steroids.I would not take both the Vimovo and the Dex because both can really upset your stomach.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me: for using