Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My husband had heart by-pass surgery about 8 years ago. they

Customer Question

my husband had heart by-pass surgery about 8 years ago. they took blood vessels from his left leg. now his left lower leg gets fiery red in a large area and is swollen at the end of the day. He keeps appointments with his doctor regularly but they have never told him anything about his leg but they do look at it. My husband is a very active 79 year old and is in good health. he is concerned about ulcers occurring and about his leg in general. Is there anything he should or could be doing for this leg?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.This is likely to be incompetent veins. The first step is to get an ultrasound (this is a specialized ultrasound, termed colored doppler). This will assess the severity of the incompetence and number of veins which are not working properly. He may need following treatment;1) Stockinette2) Laser ablation of the incompetent veins.Meanwhile he should avoid prolonged standing at a single stretch.These above measures are likely to cure the swelling and redness. Persistence of these can cause ulceration, infection, oozing etc as complications (as your husband is rightly suspecting). Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.
Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile: