A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

A few days after my 9 year old recovered from Strep I came

Customer Question

A few days after my 9 year old recovered from Strep I came down with a site throat and fever. I sought out an URGI Care center on Sunday but the rapid came back negative. I had a fever if 101.5 and enlarged gland on left side of throat , enlarged tonsils covered in white lines, spots. I've been on a course if Amoxicillin for just over 72 hours with little improvement. My culture isn't back yet but I am not responding well to the meds. I had mono at 19 and am
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I am a 44 year old female otherwise in good health . No history of recurrent throat issues. Mono at age 19.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Most strep throats are viral rather than bacterial as your son's was. The amoxicillin is the preferred antibiotic to cover if it had been strep. No antibiotics help with a viral infection. The virus just needs to run its course, and that takes a week to 10 days. Comfort measures (salt water gargles, Tylenol for pain and fever, light foods) can help make you feel better. Mono rarely occurs more than once in a lifetime. Please let me know if you have additional questions about this. Kind regards, ***** *****~