Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My son's throat hurts when he takes a deep breath. JA: OK.

Customer Question

My son's throat hurts when he takes a deep breath.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: He has a nodule on his thyroid and has asthma and acid reflux. Doctors don't seem to take his seriously. It is affecting his daily living. He is in college
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 months ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.As a matter of fact; all the three causes Thyroid nodule, asthma and acid reflux) you mentioned can contribute to the hurting of the throat on the deep breath. But usually it is acid reflux which is likely to be the biggest culprit here. Following is the treatment;1) antacids; Maalox2) acid blocker; Prilosec3) loosing weight, if overweight.4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.For acid reflux (GERD), following also would be helpful;A. Herbs;1) Cranberry2) PeppermintB. Homeopathy1) Nux Vomica2) PulsatillaC. Nutrition and supplements;1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.2) Probiotic supplement3) Omega 3 fatty acid4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil You may ask his doctor to change the inhaler medication if he is on any for asthma. The side effects of inhalers can cause pain in throat during deep breathing. Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.
Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/