Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I got off a pill of Triamterene/HCTZ mix that I thought was

Customer Question

I got off a pill of Triamterene/HCTZ mix that I thought was just Triamterene. Will I balloon up now that I stopped. I couldn't take it anymore because my potassium dropped to 2.8. Please help. I've gained 3lbs already and it's been 4 days. I can't bear the weight gain. I took it for years for water retention issues.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 months ago.
No you will not balloon up as I would describe but you may be troubled by some noticed fluid retention .With history of low potassium I suggest that you consult your doctor to try change to TRIAMTERENE ONLY plus KCL at low dose 10 meq/ day ...recheck in one month ...
This should help normalize your low K for one and help keep you free from unwanted fluid retention .You mainly appear to get rid of HCTZ component ...
I hope that this is helpful for you
Let me know if you have furher questions
I will be happy to get back with you
Best regards!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am already on Klor Con 10 meq and my Potassium has gone up to 3.1. I am hoping the extra pounds should fall off as I'm sure my body is in shock due to the hypokalemia. I just keep reading horror stories about rebound edema. I know it sounds vain and my health is more important but I am very weight conscious.
Hello again,Well you can speak with your doctor about TRIAMTERENE only...We apparently AGREE on the Klor con 10 meq!Your POTASSIUM is recovering...TRIAMTERENE alone is POTASSIUM SPARING meaning it should NOT run your POTASSIUM low by itself...I hope that this is helpful for you!Let me know if you have further questions or concerns !Take Care !Anthony Bray MD