Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Wanted help interpreting liver function test...40 year old

Customer Question

Wanted help interpreting liver function test...40 year old male...30 lbs overweight. Ast 23/alt 33/ bilirubin 0.5/albumin-globulin ratio 2.2
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 months ago.
Hello!Your liver function enzymes AST and ALT are normal range -- these are fine !Bilirubin is this total bilirubin? If so normal range ...TOTAL bilirubin is 0.3 to 1.2 mg/ dL...Direct bilirubin is 0 to 0.3 mg/dL...If you have elevated direct bilirubin then it is minimal.. A follow up could be considered ...The A/G ratio is normal at 0.8 to 2.0...Your value of 2.2 is only slightly above this range...I would handle these slight abnormal to recheck in 1 to 2 months A low A/G ratio tends to be of more concern than high ...(low albumin blood levels may cause low ratio or high globulin levels as may occur with prblems such as a lymphoma for example )So the slight high is usually not of as much concern...Low antibody production could be a cause but that is not common I hope that this information is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or concernsI will be happy to get back with youIf my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD