A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Recent tsh of 0.178, taking syntroid 100mcg. a year.

Customer Question

Recent tsh of 0.178, taking syntroid 100mcg. For over a year. 6 weeks ago tsh was 0.280. I did stop taking my synthesis. I have also been plagues w a severe itch, hair loss, retix count elevated, mono level elevated and c b 11 elevated. My pcp has not notified my of the recent lab reaulra,. They were drawn one wk ago. I found the on the pr portal. I also had a neg Lyme Lyme titer. Last week.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I was our of work for 1 weeks w the severe itch. I have several lesions only legs , arms, face that still are very itch. In the past 3 was I have seenu pcp, 2 dermatologist, infectious disease md to no avail. They all basically said there was nothing wrong w me. I was treated weds for lice and ring worm without effect. I am a baseline a normal healthy woman, w a very are say job, married doe over 45 years. With usually a very positive outlook. Since the onset of these symptoms, I have not been the same person.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Do you have any comments?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hope this service is not a hoax?
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry no one has responded to you for so long. What precisely is your question?

Also, can you tell me what you mean by "c b 11 elevated?"

Also, what does this mean "I found the on the pr portal."

This is just an information request, not an answer, since we can't tell what the question is.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Vitamin B 12.
The Portal is service provided by my PC P where patients can review their visits and lab info and any issues siscussed.

Vitamin B12 doesn't accumulate to toxic levels in the body and small elevations are nothing to be concerned about. Very, very high levels can indicate kidney disease, liver disease or a blood problem called polycythemia vera. However, all of these would show many numbers out of range on a blood test.

You didn't give the numbers for your out of range complete blood count (CBC) results and the lab reference ranges. Small differences rarely mean anything. It is large variations from the lab reference ranges that are important to look at.

Thinning hair can be a symptom of both too little and too much thyroid hormone. It can also be a sign of aging. Most women will notice thinning hair by the time of menopause.

You can't tell much from just TSH level. One would also need at least a free T4 to determine anything. All by itself your TSH is a little on the low side and may indicate that you need a lower dose of Synthroid. High levels of TSH mean underactive thyroid while extremely low levels mean there is too much thyroid hormone. Most endocrinologists try to keep TSH between 0.3 and 3.0.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~