Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

My husband has been throwing up weekly a month now.

Customer Question

My husband has been throwing up weekly for about a month now. He has been under high amounts of stress, but I'm worried. Today he started throwing up blood. I'm worried he has stomach cancer. He has no fever, no weight loss. Has been on a carb free diet for about 2 weeks. He is slightly anemic. Has never smoked, and exercises daily.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 7 months ago.
HelloWelcome to Justanswer website.Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern Is there any particular pattern for vomiting or he just had it randomly at any time?Any diarrhea?Is there any pain in abdomen?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No pattern. He'll feel fine one minute and then it will hit him and he'll vomit multiple times. Occasional diarrhea but not much as he's on a carb free diet which constipates him. Not a lot of pain in abdomen, and no blood in stool.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's usually vommiting once or twice a week
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He also did get giardia when he was deployed to Iraq 7 years ago, but hasn't has any stomach issues until around 1-2 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 7 months ago.
Dear customerThank you for the quick reply. Bleeding in upper gastrointestinal tract (mouth, esophagus, stomach and upper small intestine) from peptic ulcers or torn blood vessels is a common cause of vomiting blood.The medical term for vomiting blood (bloody vomit) is hematemesis. The symptoms your husband is having of vomiting once or twice a week since last one month can be due to various causes.Common causes are: inflammation, infection,Esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus),gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining)& peptic ulcer is the most common cause of this. Less probable causes are:Emotional stress (fear),gall bladder diseases,meningitis, or other psychological illnesses. He has no fever, no weight loss.This does not seem to be stomach cancer or anything serious or dangerous. He need following tests:EndoscopyGastroscopy or EGD(Esophagogastroduodenoscopy),Barium studies,other blood tests.Gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) or peptic ulcer seems to be the most probable cause.So my best advise for you is to make an appointment with gastro doctor to have these tests done so as to confirm the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Till then give him syp. Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals and tab meclizine hydrochloride(brand name: Dramamine).Both these are available as over the counter (OTC)without a prescription & will help him greatly in treating this symptoms of vomiting. Hope this helpedMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dysentary not giardia..my mistake
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 7 months ago.
Dear customerThank you for replying back. Okay.he got dysentry when he was deployed to Iraq 7 years ago.This past infection has nothing to do with present symptoms of vomiting. This vomiting is not related to his past infection/dysentry 7 years ago. Gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) or peptic ulcer seems to be the most probable cause. He needs the above described tests for confirmation of underlying cause.Upper endoscopy,Gastroscopy or EGD(Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) are the best tests which will diagnose the cause. So bot***** *****ne is he needs consultation of gastro doctor for these tests & hence the treatment will be done accordingly.Hope this helpedMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh