Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I'm just trying to figure out what my test means. I have high

Customer Question

I'm just trying to figure out what my test means. I have high levels of the following MCHC, RDW, Platelet count, absolute bosinophils and calcium oxalate crystals
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: For the past year and half being treated for a bacteria that was resistant and ended in the hospital with sepsis. I was told that by a Dr. from the CDC that I was considered a high risk patient. I take test every other month and this month my test are much different from my previous test so I was just trying to find out whats up
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 5 months ago.
Hello,What is your age and gender?Can you provide your latest blood work reports?What are your current symptoms?Are you taking any medications?Thanks.Waiting for your response.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm 47 years old.
I'm being treated for the past 1yr 1/2 for a antibiotic resistant bacteria that is in my kidneys. Was in; the hospital about 3 months ago the checked me in and treated me for sepsis and some other meds the CDC is combining for this bacteria. They take blood and urine from me every other month and run their test, but this month my test results actually came back much different from the others. For the first time there is no bacteria present in my urine. I think that would be good news but the problem is the pain I have in my kidneys are worse then ever before. My feet are swollen and I'm getting those red pin dots that I had when they checked me in the hospital. I guess the red pin dots are a sign of sepsis in my blood or something. Here is what "out of range" on my blood test.:
CBC includes DIFF/PLT white blood cell count = 11.7 High
MCHC = 31.0 Low
RDW = 15.9 High
Platelet count = 408 High
Absolute Eosinophils = 655 High
Calcium Oxalate Crystals = MANY (HPF)
Then here are the other test that I think is on the borderline of being high levels:
I will just go down the line with the rest of the test here:
Red Blood Cell count = 4.81
Hemoglobin = 13.5
Hematocrit = 43.1
MCV = 98.7
MCH = 31.3
Absolute Neutrophils = 7553
Absolute lymphocyte =2978
Absolute Monocytes = 655
Absolute basophils = 59
Neutrophils = 63.7
Lymphocytes = 24.6
monocytes = 5.6
bosinophils = 5.6
Basophils =0.5
specific gravity (urine) 1.035
Rheumatoid factor = 10
renal function panel = 80
calcium = 9.0
I have another entire page but I will let you go over what I have provided.
My medications:
ciprofloxacin 250 every 12 hours (non stop for about***** advised. When I was in the hospital, I was told that there was no cure but what they can do is make the bacteria dormant and possible flush it out of my system. They suppose to have either suppressed it with the meds)
meloxicam 15 mg 1 daily
baby aspirin daily
norco 10 mg (cut in half 1/2 am 1/2 pm)
Pain gets severe I take aleve in between the norco. SOmetimes the Norco does not work for the pain.
I actually go back and forth with Tramadol because I don't want to become hooked on pain killers. Actually I try not to take until it become unbearable. Like right now I'm having a hard time breathing because the pain in both my kidneys,not to mention I feel like my muscles are cramping up or something. Tonight my pain is different in a way that my muscles in my back and around my sides seem to be contracting its bad! I'm actually thinking about going to the emergency right now.
Anyways give me your thoughts. To tell you the truth the reason why I'm looking for another opinion is because my main Dr. does not seem to pay attention to my test results when I went to the hospital I took all my test that I do every other month and They told me that they were very surprised that I was still standing. That I have not had heart trouble or toxic shock. BY the way I'm considered to be what they call "high risk patient" what ever that means, its just on most my paper work I noticed. My main Dr. just gets how to treat me every time I end up in the hospital which is about every 4 months or least at times.I actually think that I may have some kind of parasite or even kidney stones on top of my main issues. This is just a gut feeling.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.
Hello,I am sorry about your long and severe symptoms and some diagnostic issues.Do you have reports of ultrasound, CT scan of abdomen?What did your urine culture show?What did your immunological panel reveal (RA factor is there but were CRP, ESR, ANA, etc done)?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They did an ultrasound just to see how my kidneys were functioning and when they did it, they kept looking at my left kidney and I was told that he was waiting for it to function, it took about 2-3 mins before something happened and that was it.
Urine Culture:
color = dark yellow
Appearance = clear
specific gravity = 1.035
PH = 5.9
Glucose = 80
Bilirubin total = 0.2
Ketones = negative
occult blood = negative
protein = negative
nitrite = negative
leukocyte esterase = negative
WBC= 5
RBC = 2
squamous epithelial cells = 4-5
bacteria = none seen
Calcium Oxalate Crystals = MANY (HPF)
hyaline cast = none seen
reflexive urine culture = no culture indicated
as far as CRP, ESR, ANA, etc I don't see it on my results.
This is a routine urine report. A culture report comes in around 48-72 hours. Culture tells about the causative organisms and also tells about the best antibiotic which is usually curative of the infection. A kidney infection usually takes sometimes 2-3 weeks of antibiotic course.You would also need a CT scan of abdomen and a colored doppler study of kidneys for further assessmentHaving said that; with your description, I would consider consulting a nephrologist and a clinical immunologist. You may have immunological nephritis (autoimmune kidney disease). This may need treatment by medicines like cortocosteroids and immune modulators. Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.