Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

I have had pain in my left shoulder blade and left upper arm

Customer Question

i have had pain in my left shoulder blade and left upper arm for 3 days, arm pain is in joint and upper tissue. Sometimes muscle pulls from shoulder to neck. Blood pressure is 143/93, 110 heartrate. Did do physical work today with arms, painting. Whatshould I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Is pain in shoulder continuous or it comes in sharp attack?On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?Do you have numbness in left arm?Shortness of breath? Nausea?Did symptoms started after you have done painting?Are you taking any medications? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pain is mostly after relaxing in evening. Pain is about a 5 in shoulder and 7 in arm. No numbness in arm. No SOB , symptoms started 2dayss prior to painting.
.I take norvasc for htn , xanax for anxiety, levsin for bowels.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for all these additional details.I am sorry to hear about your problems. Well, from the description it sounds to be Compressed or Pinched nerve causing pain to radiate from your shoulder down your arm.However, it should not be left ignored and should always be checked for heart disease. Your doctor may advise EKG to rule out heart disease possibility. Though chances of heart disease are slim. Compressed nerve, may take 2-3 weeks to get resolve completely.Use of Local analgesic cream would be helpful. Application of ice packs on shoulder region can be done for 15 minutes and should be repeated three-four times a day.Stretching exercises can help you feel better and may help to relieve nerve root compression.You can take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like Short wave diathermy,Infra red,Wax therapy ,these will be helpful.You can take OTC Tylenol.You should take adequate rest and avoid stress and avoid doing any heavy exercise. If symptoms doesn't improve then stronger anti-inflammatory with painkiller action can be prescribed. May be anxiety issue has caused increased heart rate.The normal pulse for healthy person ranges from 60 to 100 beats per minute. If you repeated get increased heart rate, then it should be checked by doctor.Increased pulse rate could be due to underlying medical issue and should not be ignored, Possible causes are--Heart Diseases- like coronary heart diseases, high blood pressure, pericarditis etc.-Thyroid disorder-Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) -Imbalance of electrolytes, mineral in body. Please follow above measures, and best bet is that You should see your doctor and get it clinically evaluated.It would be better, if you get it examined ASAP and this would give you peace of mind. I hope this helps.If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business