Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I suffure from Interstitial Cystitis 15 years now

Customer Question

I suffure from Interstitial Cystitis for over 15 years now and my previous pain management doctor isn't practicing anymore due to a horrific personal reason. He had always prescribed me Soma for my muscle relaxer and now my new pain management doctor will not. I have tried several others since seeing her and nothing is working and I really need my Soma back. I live in concord NH can you please tell me a doctor that I could contact to continue receiving this medication. My health is the worst and I am getting ready to lose my job. Please help me if you can
Category: Health
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.
Hello Kaylee,We cannot prescribe here. Prescription of these medications can only be done by a personal visit to a doctor. If you wish we can discuss various therapies of interstitial cystitis.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is this medication a controlled substance ?
Yes it is a controlled substance.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So just so I am clear you can't tell me what type of Doctor can prescribe this medication to me correct ?
Unfortunately I cannot call you. Soma is habit forming so it should be avoided for long term. Your primary care physician or a pain specialist can prescribe it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay I think we can take care of these questions by texting. My pain doctor has already told me no for them to prescribe it to me. I will call my primary in the morning
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just one thing I am already a member of this site so will I have to continue paying more money each time I have a question?
Yes, the primary care physician can prescribe it to you. With a confirmed diagnosis of interstitial cystitis there should not be any hesitation.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If its still possible can you please call me at(###) ###-####regarding the medication quesiton?
I hope you have not taken more than the prescribed. Occasionally doctors may mention in the records and there may be difficulty in prescribing by your primary. Still you can convince him.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am a little confused by your last answer. I haven't taken this medication since I last saw the best pain doctor I have ever had which was in 2011. So I never abused them I am just trying to find the fight fit with my new doctor that's all
I am just wondering; why the doctor refused prescribing despite your diagnosis. Patients with IC will require some treatment and regular medicine. That was it. So I am sure your primary would give you prescription of Soma.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was told it was there company / office decision not to prescribe soma to anyone
Yes, some offices have taken a policy decision not to prescribe due to habit forming or some practices have been prohibited due to over prescription.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please call me when you are free. Thanks for all your help so far.
I am not in the country so can't call you and thus unable to take this service. Sorry.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay have a good day
You too.My best,
Expert:  Ashley Mires replied 9 months ago.
Hi there. I am in the country.. did you need further help?
This is Dr. Ashley Mires, MD here to help answer your question. I'm a board certified specialist in Internal Medicine.
Following is the comprehensive treatment protocol for interstitial cystitis (you may be knowing most of them); 1) Medications; a) Medications to improve bladder lining; Pentosan polysulfate sodium (PPS) b) Medications to decrease pain; Gabapentin, hydroxyzine, montelukast c) Bladder instillation; The combination of medications is lidocaine, heparin or pentosan polysulfate sodium, and sodium bicarbonate. It is believed that this combination helps to repair the bladder lining and decrease nerve sensitivity in the bladder. 2) Physical therapy; Pelvic floor physical therapy (PT) may be recommended to decrease tightness in these muscles. PT can decrease bladder or pelvic pain as well as urinary urgency and frequency. Physical therapist works on the patient's body to manually "release" the tightness, tender points, trigger points, and restricted movement of the connective tissues and muscles. 3) Exercises; Many patients feel that gentle stretching exercises help relieve IC symptoms. 4) Electrical stimulation; sacral nerve stimulation. 5) Behavioral therapies; Behavioral therapies for urinary frequency work to slowly increase the time interval between voids, which increases the amount of urine the bladder can comfortably hold; this is called timed voiding. 6) Diet; alcohol, tomatoes, spices, chocolate, caffeinated and citrus beverages, and high-acid foods may contribute to bladder irritation and inflammation. Artificial sweeteners may aggravate the symptoms. 7) Surgery; fulguration and resection of ulcers or bladder augmentation. Please feel free for your follow up questions. Dr. Arun
It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.
Medications which can be used for pain relief, apart from Soma in interstitial cystitis are following:Anti-inflammatory drugsAcetaminophenGabapentinTricyclic antidepressantsSelective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
Expert:  DrPhilMD replied 9 months ago.
can I help?
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.