A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I am scared to tell my mother in law

Customer Question

I am scared to tell my mother in law we will relocate in 3 months.
I found a better job in another state and my husband will follow me 3 states away.
We did not tell her yet because it just became a reality 1 day ago.
I am so scared of her reaction. She is very protective of her son and she will probably not take this nice
My husband has a great paying job here but he is not happy with it.
I got a job somewhere nicer( Florida vs Ohio where we are now ) and we love Florida.
He will just follow me and look for a job after we get there. Here I do not work because I am in school. But once I graduate I got a job.
My husband sustained me through school. Now I will sustain him until he gets a job
I just worry about my mother in law
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Is your mother-in-law in ill health, or is there some other practical reason to worry about her? If not, it is best to have her son tell her the news. You should be somewhere else when he does it. She will likely be upset to have the two of you moving so far away, but all children have to leave the nest at some time. She will become accustomed to the idea in a little while. Perhaps you could arrange for her to visit you for Thanksgiving or Christmas so she will have something to look forward to. Please get back to me if you want to discuss this further. Kind regards, Schuyler~