Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I was diagnosed with hemiplegic migraine and am having

Customer Question

Hi, I was diagnosed with hemiplegic migraine and am having a severe attack at present. A new symptom I'm having is a rapid pulsating sensation feeling down the left side of my neck. The hemiplegia affects my left side. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.When have you been diagnosed with this condition?How many attacks did you have?How old are you?Do you take any regular medicine?When did this symptom start?Are you feeling any other symptom?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was diagnosed 3 years ago after being admitted to a stroke unit. An MRI showed an area of lost signal on the right frontal lobe but no other anomaly. I discovered my grandmother suffered from the same condition. I take topamax 200mg daily. Before starting topamax I had attacks weekly but now they are every 3-4 weeks and last 3-4 days. I also have type I Von Willebrands Disease but don't take any regular medication for this unless I need invasive surgery. I am a 45 year old mum of 3 grown up children. I am on day 3 of this attack and it is not showing any signs of resolving - after 5 days I have to attend A&E for a sumatriptan IM shot. My left leg and arm are weak and tingly, I've had a couple of nosebleeds, vision is blurred, can't sleep, very thirsty, very severe headache.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for all the information,Your symptoms can be due to worsening of Von Willebrand disease associated with hemiplegic migraine.TIA, hemiplegic migraine can have similar symptoms.As you had several episodes of nose bleeding, and other symptoms are severe, you need repeat evaluation by doctor.Dehydration can be possible.Repeat MRI along with blood tests should be taken to know the proper cause and management.Other medicines can be needed to control your symptoms.Though you visited doctor recently, still you should go to urgent care or A&E without delay.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your answer. My main worry is that I have this new symptom of the fluttering/pulsing feeling down the left side of my neck and haven't had this before. When I've been in hospital on previous occasions the doctor has listened to that side of my neck through his stethoscope but I've never thought to ask why and now I'm having this sensation in the exact same area.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
You are always welcome.I think doctor was listening for any abnormal pulsation in artery like carotid.An ultrasound doppler or MRAngio can be taken.Please take an examination by doctor again/If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating.Best wishes.