A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I just recently had gastric sleeve surgery. I was up waking

Customer Question

I just recently had gastric sleeve surgery. I was up waking about a hr after surgery. My Dr gave me heparin before and after surgery. I had compression pumps on when I was in bed I was waking every 2-3hrs the first 24hrs and been remaining active. I'm on lovenox 40mg daily and wear compression stockenings. What are the chance of developing a blood clot and how long do I have to worry about developing one?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Doctor will figure it out.
Customer: O ok
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: My mom had similar surgery 5 yrs ago and developed a PE 26 days post op and past away
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. My name is***** and I'll be helping with your question.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok great
The usual protocol is to continue the Lovenox for two weeks to four weeks and then quit. It depends a lot on someone's overall health before surgery. So long as someone remains active, there is not nearly as much chance of developing clots. The length of time can vary from individual to individual depending on their health before surgery and how active they are after surgery. I'm sorry about your mother, but that doesn't necessarily have any bearing on your own risk of a blood clot. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Best regards, Schuyler~