Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I have a question about alcohol withdrawal... I went to Mexico

Customer Question

I have a question about alcohol withdrawal... I went to Mexico with a couple friends and my cousins for two weeks in February. While we were there we all drank a lot almost every day that we were there, for two weeks. There was maybe only one or two days where I didn't drink at all. Some days we would go out and have drinks around lunch time and during the day and then go out that night and drink some also. And on the weekends at night I drank the most. After I got back I was scared after realizing that generally I had been drinking for two weeks, I looked up if you can have a withdrawal from alcohol after just two weeks of drinking and they said it was possible. I just was really scared and didn't leave my bed until the 3 days passed with no alcohol and of course I was fine. However I don't know whether I went through a withdrawal or not, I have an anxiety disorder in general, but I felt major anxiety during this three day period after the two weeks of drinking. I'm not sure if that was a withdrawal or just my regular anxiety flaring up based on the fact that I was so worried. I was a little shaky but not majorly, I didn't throw up but felt minority sick to my stomach. And I felt a mild mood swing once and a while. My heart rate was high but it is in general because my anxiety, I don't know exactly how high it was but it was higher than it normally is. I haven't drank in the months since February because I'm scared to, I'm wondering can I ever drink again? I've looked up kindling from alcohol withdrawal and it says if you experienced a withdrawal they can get worse and worse and potentially cause delirium tremens if you ever drink again. Is this two week period of drinking virtually everyday and sometimes during the day that serious? Thank you for any help you can provide.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.Did you take alcohol 3 days ago?How much did you take?Did you have alcohol withdrawal symptoms before?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HelloCustomer
No I didn't have any alcohol 3 days ago, I haven't had any alcohol since February 14th of this year. I don't believe I've ever had alcohol withdrawal symptoms before.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jack,Thank you for all the information,I feel you were having anxiety or stress.Delirium tremens can occur when there is lack of food, associated illness.History of alcohol withdrawal symptoms is also a predisposing factors.It occurs after periods of prolonged & heavy drinking.I feel you need not to worry about it.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.