A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have this sharp pain on the bottom of my right breast

Customer Question

Hello, I have this sharp pain on the bottom of my right breast specially when I cough or sneeze or even laugh
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Ok what do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Went through a really bad cold qith a lot of coughing recently
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.
Hello, It sounds like this is a result of all the coughing. It is either the small muscles around the ribs that have been irritated or the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum (called costochondirtis). It's fairly common after someone has bouts of coughing. Heat usually helps along with some ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) for the discomfort. Please let me know what other questions you may have about this. Best regards, Schuyler~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried Ibuprofen and it doesnt seem to help much, sometimes the pain feels better but sometimes is really sharp specially when coughing, sneezing or even laughing, it almost non existent when i am laying down
That's the way it's usually described. Have you tried a heating pad? Sometimes that will relieve the pain. If it doesn't you may need to see your medical provider for some stronger pain medication. Best regards, Schuyler~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, i even tried one of those massage machines and lots of ben gay, but it doesnt help, it also hurts when doing heavy work and lifting boxes at work.
Yes, it is going to hurt with any movement. If it isn't better you may need stronger pain medication or even perhaps a steroid injection into the area of the pain to help reliee inflammation. Best regards, Schuyler~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I gorgot to mention thst the pain sometimes runs along the rib cage to the right side under the arms
That's also where the muscles run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I should worry that it could be something more serious, Ive always been pretty healthy and practically pain free and this is driving me nuts!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I means shouldnt
I'm sure it is very uncomfortable, but it isn't anything to worry about. it's a fairly common secondary problem when someone has a lot of coughing with a cold or pneumonia. It usually passes in a week or so with rest, application of heat or ice, and ibuprofen, naproxen or acetaminophen. Kind regards, Schuyler~