A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Steppeded on a nickle sized pebble, jagged shaped. I was barefoot.

Customer Question

Steppeded on a nickle sized pebble, jagged shaped. I was barefoot. Stepped on it between front of foot, behind toe next to big toe. Felt it like crunch inside. I jumped. No piercing of skin. This was 3 weeks ago. It has been sore since. Sometimes swelling a bit. Toes hurts sometimes, sometimes bottom of foot where I stepped on it, feels like a lump. Could I have punched a nerve? Hurt the muscle? I am prone to arthritis and have reoccurring bouts in joints. Your guess??
ThAnk You; Ray
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.
Hi, Ray, You may have badly bruised not just a muscle but the bone itself. There's even the possibility of a small fracture in one of the bones in that joint behind the great toe. An xray is required to see if there is any fracture. Generally a simple muscle bruise would have completely healed within a period of three weeks. I would suggest you see your medical provider as soon as you can get an appointment, or if you don't have one, you can go to a walk-in clinic. Please let me know if you have additional questions about this. Kind regards, Schuyler~
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thnx. Though not a Dr., I kind of thought this...... I thank you for your attention.... Very Much......
You're so very welcome. Actually, every study that has ever done has shown that NPs deliver at least equal care and usually better care to their patients than MDs. Kind regards, Schuyler~
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, you are correct. I have wanted to go for an x-ray, but life has been challenging of late. Plus, I am thinking what can the dr. Do for it anyway?! I am retired, so I have been off my feet as much as possible.... thnx again!!!!
If it's a fracture your foot would likely be immobilized in a splint to allow the bones to heal properly. Sometimes poorly healed fractures result in a lifetime of pain. I hope you will be able to see a provider. Best regards, Schuyler~
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been taking Meloxicam twice a day. And, have been off my feet as much as I can.... if I do not feel better within a week, I will see my Dr. ( Who is friend and Very Capable).... thnx. Again!!!!
You're so very welcome Ray. I hope it feels better quickly. If you are satisfied with the answer, please consider giving me a positive rating, since that is the only way I am paid anything for my time. Kind regards, Schuyler~