Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have recently been diagnosed with Auto Immune Hepatitis.

Customer Question

I have recently been diagnosed with Auto Immune Hepatitis. My doctor has me getting regular blood tests and I'm currently on 30 mg of Prednisone. They are not good about communicating the results or how I should be adjusting my meds. I'm to be going onto a new med this evening, Budesonide, 3 mg and I'm to take it 3 X day.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I'm not getting call backs from my current specialist. So i finally got them to fax me my blood results from last Saturday. I have a few that are high and one that is low. My problem is I'm not sure what all these stand for or if I should be seriously concerned. i have diabetis in my family, father, daughter, granddaughter so I'm well versed on Diabetes, nowever I've always been fine until the Prednesone which i understand can cause levels to go up. The ones I'm concerned about is WBC 13.9, MCH 31.9, RDW 18.5, Absolute Neutrophils 9.7, Globulin 4.5, AST 91 (was over 1400 when i was admitted 4 weeks ago. and ALT 170 (was over 1600 when admitted4 weeks ago) I was admitted for 4 days, off 2 weeks and I've been back to work since 4/11. The prednesone is playing havoc with my system so I'm very anxious to get off of it. Just ready to find a new specialist. Communication is less than acceptable.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long. These investigations (WBC 13.9, MCH 31.9, RDW 18.5, Absolute Neutrophils 9.7) are usually deranged mildly in an inflammation and autoimmune disorder. None of these are alarming presently. A mild high WBC and absolute neutrophils denote mild grade infection or inflammation which can change the mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH) and RDW of the red blood cells.The globulin, AST and ALT are liver function tests. They would derange in autoimmune hepatitis but presently are far better than when you were admitted so you are responding to the treatment. You may need to continue steroids for some more duration in the same dose till all the investigations comes back to normal. Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your prompt response. Have you seen these levels return to this level before and do you feel this may be just a temporary issue and that there is a POSSIBILITY that I may not need these steroids in the future?
You are very welcome.There are some patients (about 30-40%), who may not need steroids at all later on . Unfortunately some will require off and on steroids as liver enzymes may dwindle in future. They are likely to return to normal and stay normal for long duration in whom autoimmune hepatitis is mild. It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.
Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile: