A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My BP in both legs is greater than both arms. I'm healthy -

Customer Question

My BP in both legs is greater than both arms. I'm healthy - but have sensation in both legs that they're about to fall asleep for 7 days. Pain behind both knees.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Brain fog, lightheaded, dry eyes headaches.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Low abdomen pains. I've been to internist who is running blood work and to my OB who scheduled ultrasound in two weeks for cysts.... I think I have pVD or a blocked inferior vena cava and am not getting any where.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Do you have numbers for the blood pressure in your legs versus your arms? It's normal for BP to be 10 to 20% higher in the legs. You wrote "... I think I have pVD or a blocked inferior vena cava and am not getting any where..."What diagnostic tests have been done so far? Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
102/70 in arms and 125/80 in legs. Not sure what a diagnostic is - so I'll say no. My internist sent me for blood work. Historically I have an RA factor. My OB scheduled an ultrasound but said I should see a neurologist over the tingly and painful legs for 7 days. My forearms feel constructed ever so slightly - in same effect as legs. I'm exhausted. Eat clean and have been drinking 12 glasses a day just to be sure it's not dehydration.
A diagnostic test is one run to determine what is causing the symptoms. An ultrasound to look for clots and blockages is one, so is any number of different blood tests. How far along in pregnancy are you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not pregnant
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm walking into an apt at the vein place... Im so uncomfortable- any advice on what diagnostic they can run and where?
Sorry, I thought if your ob had ordered tests that you must be pregnant. It sounds like you really haven't had any tests up to now. The blood work may show abnormalities in kidneys or liver, and ultrasound can help determine if there is a blockage or clot. A neurologist will try to determine with various tests if there is a neurological reason for the tingling in your legs. Your arm versus leg ratio isn't bad at an index of 1.2. You may have some perpheral vascular disease. The vein center will know exactly what tests to run depending on symptoms. Best regards, Schuyler~