Dr. Greene
Dr. Greene, Psychologist
Experience:  Clinical and Forensic Psychologist
60381331

My granddaughter has a cartilage piercing and it is swolllen,

Customer Question

My granddaughter has a cartilage piercing and it is swolllen, making the diamond sink in. We have only used saline. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Greene replied 7 months ago.
I'm assuming this is in her ear or nose? This is less dangerous than a body piercing, but it would help me to know where it is. Also, is the piercing new (just got it), or is is old?
Regardless, it should be cleaned multiple times a day with salt water (dissolve an 1/8 Tbs. of non-iodized salt in a cup of warm water). Submerge the piercing in the salt water for 20 minutes twice a day. Washing the skin around the piercing (and always your hands before touching!) with anti-bacterial soap (like Dial) and water is a good idea. Lastly, a warm compress from time to time will help drain any infection and alleviate some pain. However, if you notice pus/fluid/discharge coming from the piercing and it doesn't subside within 48 hours, it's time to go to a doctor.