Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I have a hernia on my belly button. no pain when i push on

Customer Question

i have a hernia on my belly button. no pain when i push on it. what home tests can i do to see if it needs treatment?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.How large is it?Does it disappear on sleeping?Did you get it checked by doctor?Since when are you having it?Did it increase in size?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
small around belly button. doctor checked told me to push on it. no pain. told me not to worry for now. not sure about sleeping question. noticed it by accident early April 2016
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for all the information,Hernia usually causes a swelling. It increases in size on coughing, straining. It may disappear during sleep. You can also push it inside abdomen gently when you are lying down.The treatment of hernia is surgical.Often treatment depends on symptoms & discomfort you are feeling.In small hernias with no symptoms, sometimes wait & watch approach is taken.In planned surgery, the risk is less.Sometimes hernia can get obstructed & strangulated.In that cases it will need emergency operation & there can be complications.You can have an evaluation by a surgeon.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.