Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I've had the Mirena IUD in 6 years, have no periods,

Customer Question

I've had the Mirena IUD in for about 6 years, have no periods, have just started experiencing cramping. I've never had cramps. It started about 2 weeks ago and was achy painful but eventually went away by the morning. Now I'm having it again today. Just wondering if visiting the dr is worth my time. We just moved to a new state so I don't have a ob/gyn lined up so if I can avoid going, that would be nice. Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.Where in abdomen do you feel the cramps precisely?Is there any swelling, tenderness?How are stool & urine?When did you get Mirena inserted?Did you get it checked later on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
cramps all around muscles below my belly button on the right and left side, I don't think there's any swelling or tenderness- just persistent achy cramps that make my whole body feel yucky. Stool and urine are fine. I had the Mirena put in in early 2010. I went to my regular ob/gyn appointments and there was never a problem
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for all the information,Cramps in lower abdomen can come from a number of causes.It can come from uterus, bladder or colon.Cramps from uterus is usually associated with bleeding, discharge.There can be intestinal cramps from gas.Urinary infection or bladder infection or stone can cause pain here.I feel you need an examination by doctor.An ultrasound examination would be helpful.Urine, stool, hormonal tests, count can be taken.Tylenol can be taken for pain.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.