Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

There have been problems with Metro rail here in Washington

Customer Question

Hi. There have been problems with Metro rail here in Washington DC. Trains get stopped owing to electrical fires and people are trapped breathing that smoke. If you survive, can there be long term effects, such as lung damage?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me just a bit more information so the Doctor can help you best. For example have you seen a Doctor for this and if so, has there been a diagnosis?
Customer: I have not been a victim. I am nervous about taking the train until I get an answer.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No. I am 71 y/o but in good health. Workout a lot, etc.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.Smoke can produce several effects.It can cause heat related injury to upper airways.There can be chemical injury from soot.There can be low oxygen level or asphyxia.Carbon monoxide or other toxic gas poisoning can occur.So it would be better to avoid smoke.Usually smoke related injury resolves in 2-3 days.Rarely there can be long term effects like fibrosis of lungs, bronchiectasis, tracheal stenosis, bronchiolitis etc.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.