A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My wife has a sharp pain at her left waist just where it bends,

Customer Question

My wife has a sharp pain at her left waist just where it bends, above the hip bone and has vomited.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: She is 63, 320 pounds, on cardiac meds for angina and has two stents. Her pain seems unrelated to all of that. She says the pain reduces when she lies down but really hurts when she sits up.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: All she has had to eat since midnight was a cup of coffee w/cream and sugar in it. She is a very sedentary woman.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 months ago.
Hello, There are a lot of causes for pain in that area, from trapped gas through kidney stone or infection, pancreatitis, diverticulitis, fecal impaction, spleen infection, hiatal hernia, angina, inflammation of the stomach lining, and about a dozen other things. If the pain gets worse, she should go to the ER given her history of angina. Best regards, Schuyler~