Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I thought i was sllergic to iodine in fish but i can eat crab

Customer Question

I thought i was sllergic to iodine in fish but i can eat crab and shrimp. I know i cant eat salmon
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: What else u need. If i smell fish frying i cant breath and breakout in hives. I think i used to eat sardines as a child. Im scared to try anything new due to the serious reactions
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Not that i can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.Since when are you having the symptom?Did you have any test?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ive had symptoms for years. I did some blood work for allergies. It said i could eat salmon but when i ate it my throat closed up so im afraid to try anything else
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
Can you name the tests you had?What were the results?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Allergy blood tests. Inaccurate
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the information.Iodine is present in our body, in thyroid hormones.Iodine allergy is not common but idiosyncratic reaction can occur.As you felt symptoms after eating salmon, you may have allergy to some components of it.I feel you need a review by allergist.Fresh blood work, allergy tests can be taken.Those will find out if you have any true allergy.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why is it that i can eat shrimp and crab. Dont they have iodine
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
You may be allergic to finned fish like salmon but not to shell fish like shrimp or crab.It is unlikely to be related to iodine.It can be related to protein of the fish.Skin allergy test to fish protein can be taken by allergist.