Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Yesterday I had trouble urinating, I was in great pain and

Customer Question

Yesterday I had trouble urinating, I was in great pain and couldn't release much out. After words, really small stone like substances were at the bottom of the toilet. I didn't know what to do at that point, so I didn't see a problem with just going to school. As soon as I got school, I felt highly uncomfortable down in my vagina region so I went back to the restroom and again as before, had a hard time releasing a normal amount of urine, and was in great pain, I also released more 'stones' but smaller. There was now however, drops of blood dripping from vagina. Halfway through a class period later, I returned to the bathroom, everything happened as before but the stones were even smaller. So I got my dad to pick me up and we went to the ER and their KT scan machine was broken so they only took a urine sample. Then they came back and said that it was just UTI, and that the 'stones' I saw were probably just blood clots. but they weren't red, they were like white. The DR wrote me a prescription for UTI and I'm suppose to take one @ 7am and at 7pm, so later that night, I of course took the 7pm one. This morning I woke up for school and went to the bathroom and peed fine. No pain, and actually quite a lot of urine. However when I got to school, during 2nd period, the sides of my stomach, just above my waist, began to hurt and I got a headache a few minutes later. I decided to got to the bathroom and when I went to pee, I was immediately in pain. Yesterday when I'd go to pee, the pain would be delayed for a couple seconds. It is now 6th period and my sides still hurt and it still hurts to urinate/not releasing as much as usual. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the prescription for UTI (sulfamethoxazole)is helping/affecting my kidney stone problem IF I do have them?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 10 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.Your symptoms can be due to combination of urinary tract infection and stone.CT scan or ultrasound could detect stones.Blood can appear in both stone and infection.Try to take more fluid.Taking more fluid can help in both tiny stones and infection.Tylenol or Motrin can help in pain. Continue antibiotic.If the pain continues, ultrasound or scan should be taken.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does it SOUND like I have stones or?
From your history it seems that you have stones in addition to infection.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My follow up check up is next Thursday, is that too long to wait? And do you think that the prescription I was given for the UTI will affect my stones?
If you feel improvement, you can wait.The medicines can cause crystal formation but you need to take more fluid to prevent crystal formation.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So wait, the prescription that I was given to help my UTI can worsen me if I have stones?
This crystals are different from the stone, if you have,It will not worsen your condition.you need to take the antibiotic as prescribed.Plenty of fluid will help in expelling both crystals or stones.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you think I have stones?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nvm, I meant what did you mean by my history? Are you referring to what I've described so far?
It is difficult to say without tests whether you have stone or not.A possibility is there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
And yesterday, and a little bit today as well, I don't FEEL like I have to go to the bathroom, I just start to feel uncomfortable in that region and I head to the bathroom and as soon as I get then, I suddenly feel like I've been holding it in for like ever. Yesterday it was just an uncomfortable feeling, today is more of a light painful, mostly in sides feeling. And every time I go to the bathroom, I always have SOME urine to release. Like if I went to the bathroom now, I could go again in like 5 minutes.
There can be some improvement as the pain is light today.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I meant light pain as in it doesn't hurt too much but there's pain now. Comparing to yesterday when there wasn't pain at all when I 'had' to go to the bathroom.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
And after I urinate, I can feel my vagina throbbing. Is that just do to the pain?
So, are you feeling worse than yesterday?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I mean it's a mix, because yesterday I was in pain, sitting was too uncomfortable, I was in pain down there, standing was easier then sitting but my back was sore so it made me hurt with that. Today, it's my sides that hurt and I have a headache and I ate lunch so I don't think it'd be from being hungry. Then ofc, it still hurts when I pee, and the throbbing was both yesterday and today.
As I wrote before try to take more fluid.Taking more fluid can help in both tiny stones and infection.Tylenol or Motrin can help in pain.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
And what kind of fluids would you suggest? Water, cranberry juice, orange juice..?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ignore that question... I have another I actually want or need a response too.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would my infection hurt my sides?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because I am in so much pain right now.
Sorry I was offline, so could not answer earlier.Both kidney infection and stones can cause pain in the sides or back.As the pain is too much, you should go to hospital again.Any liquid like water, juice, soup, light tea can be taken.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was doubling over in pain at work, 30 minutes ago,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I go to the hospital
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My parents are asking me but i don't want to go and it be a waste of money for them..
I feel you should go to hospital as the pain is so severe.You should have repeat tests.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What if the pain died down?
If the pain subsides, you can wait.But as you are getting bouts of severe pain, I feel you should go to hospital and take further tests.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.