A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My daughters step mom works OR in our state, GA, she

Customer Question

my daughters step mom works for the OR in our state, GA, she had a ER doctor prescribe my daughter a prescription having never seen her before. Is this legal, because now my daughter had another prescription called in today for a UTI an she hasn't even had a test to determine if this is what she has. What should I do?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: she recently took her an got her the Depo shot for birth control without having a pap smear. this has all happened within the past 2 weeks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.
Hi, To start at the end of your question, there is no requirement that a woman have a Pap test before a depo shot. The rest of it is problematical. There is really little you can do and still keep peace in the family. You should speak with your daughter and explain to her that it isn't safe to have prescriptions for illnesses that she may not have. Everyone should see their own primary provider, not someone they have never seen before. Prescribing for a patient for whom you don't have a provider-patient relationship isn't allowed in any state. That generally means that the provider has to see the patient in person at least once, take a medical history, and perform an examination. If you feel it necessary, you can report the doctor and the OR nurse to their respective professional boards. You can find contact information here:http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-topics/health-care-professionals Please let me know if you have additional questions. Best regards, Schuyler~
Did you have additional questions about this? Best regards, Schuyler~